Calum Knott


I'm currently employed by Didactic Services, a FESTO Partner, as a Senior Applications Engineer.
I'm currently the WorldSkillsUK Mechatronics Training Manager
I'm also a Visiting Lecturer at Middlesex University
Occasionally I can be persuaded to Freelance!

Contact Me


These posts are archived
They were written with an old blogging platform, and are no longer really maintainable, however as they are linked too from various pages on the web - it seemed a good idea to try and archive them. I have written just enough code to get them to display - but there will probably be a few broken links and images.
Any major queries - feel free to contact me

CRS Robotic Arm

3 / 2 / 2014

It's a clever bit of kit, and as well as manual control, you can program it to do various tasks. The programming language is (VERY) old, but seems to be quite robust, and in my on-going plan to document my work, I thaught I'd give a breakdown of how the code works, and some tricks I picked up to navigate the system But first things first, Lets see what im talking about:

In the video above, the Arm is programmed to build the little toy house. The blocks are a 'foam' material (which causes problems ill elaborate on later) The assignment was to place the blocks exactly 500mm away, however it is noted that "good programming practices must be used" The code running, will position the house anywhere I want along the table; All I have to do is specify a distance (in mm) away from the starting position. By default, each "position" the arm moves to is saved in a variable, known as a "teachable cloc". This is a hard-coded position. My Initial attempt at programming the arm used a list of variables, as shown below

This might not look 'too' bad, but consider there are 6 blocks, you have six sets of this code, and a lot of repatition… there had to be a better way.

Abstracting the grip and release functions

Functions in RAPL-3, are reffered to as "subroutines" Its important to think through how we want to simplify our code. In my case, I chose to have a grip and release sub-routine, that lowers the arm, and then either grips, or releases the block. In RAPL-3 you can use the command wz(-50) to move the arm vertically down 50mm "wz : World Z-Axis" So I made two subroutines pickUp() and putDown():

Now, I only need to store 2 cloc values for each block. One, above the blocks start position, and Two, above the blocks finish position:

This is much better. But still falls short of what I would like… With 6 blocks, its still a lot of variables and the code is more like a list than anything usefull..

Looping, and Arrays

Arrays Arrays Arrays, so much fun… The teachable cloc variables can actually be an array eg: "move(block1[0])" This is usefull as we can loop through them… Even more helpful is that we can make it a 2D array eg: move(block[0][0]) So by setting up a 6x2 array (6 blocks / rows, 2 states / columns) we can itterte through it with a for loop

This is MUCH MUCH better.

Fun Things

So, my modifying this a little, we can make the code more fun By adding a movement of joint 7 (the horizontal track) just before we put the block down, we can alter the distance away that the house is built.

Using an If statment and another subroutine, I am also able to define the width of the 'door' in the house.. but Ill leave you to work that out for yourselves….

Quirks

gripclose(20) - we use 20 because this is 'about' the right force to pick up one of the foam blocks without 1) puncturing it 2) dropping it! delay(1000) - we have to use a delay of about one second when waiting for the gripper to close. It appears gripfinish(), reports it finishing before it actually has syntax highlighting - There is none… Deal with it.

Final Code

So ok, this isnt my 'final code' but it is clean, and should function and compile well!

Update

So I went back to the robotic arm this morning to make some tweaks and took a moment to lift the code of the pc (its not networked and is a self-contained pc, so I never had a copy of my actual code when i wrote this blog post) Ive supplied the actual code below. It contains a lot of "quirk fixes" and also the code to allow the house to be built in a specific way (door size).. so sorry if it doesnt make much sence. If in doubt, refer to my final code above. I just thaught it might be good to have a copy of both here.